Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gifts from Eleanor...

Both of Todd's Grandmother's were named Eleanor.

When choosing our "girl" name I knew that I wanted a "family" name. I also liked the idea of combining names. We also wanted a name that was unique without being odd...

Hence, Eleanna. Pronouced EL-Lana.

Last night as I driving home from Church and was thinking about how connected I felt to Eleanor Marsh (Todd's Paternal Grandmother). I had never met her. She passed away in 1993 I believe. There have been many of her items that have been graciously passed down to Todd and I. We received several boxes of her cookbooks. I have made several things from them. As I have perused them & have found several hand written notes stuck in the pages. Some are just grocery lists...all are nothing in particular.

We also have a quilted wall hanging and a bed quilt that are displayed in our house. How nice to know that we are blanked in her warmth each night...

At Christmas a couple of years ago I received a ring of hers. That ring is so special to me. I knew when Eleanna was born that I wanted her picture take with that ring. When I wear it I now think of both of them Eleanor and Eleanna...

Todd also brought home a box of Eleanor's books from Grandpa's house. Last night I started to read her 1940 edition of Gone With the Wind. I have yet to see what else is in there...

I know that one should not be so wrapped up in "stuff" but, somehow it's those little things given to us by previous generations that keep us connected to them... I also have things from my Grandparents. All those things are so special to me. I think it was in the movie "The Proposal" where Betty White's character said, "Dear, we love Grandparents love giving things away...it makes us feel that like we will be with even when we are gone."... Of course that made me cry.

I can only hope that one day I could have Daughter or Daughter-in-Law to pass those things down to. Not only so Eleanor can be with them, but also so Eleanna & I can be with them as well.

After reading "Heaven is for Real" and knowing that Eleanna is safe in the Care of Eleanor Marsh, David Marsh (Todd's Dad), Eleanor Curran, Emily Meiners, Herman Meiners, and Burdette Parkinson it makes me smile and feel comforted. I know she is Ok. Even knowing that... it does not make me miss her more and more... I have to say I may even be a bit jealous of them...




No comments :